Ex-Muslims: Know your Rights Leaflet
Freedom of religion and belief is a human right
Everyone in the UK has the freedom of religion and belief, which is a fundamental human right protected by a number of international treaties and declarations. This right encompasses freedom of thought on all matters. No matter what your family or the wider community says and irrespective of your race, sex, age, and background, you have this fundamental right.
Know how to protect yourself
- If you are worried about your personal safety, take it seriously. Consider the risk and whether you should involve the police.
- Open a separate/secret bank or savings account
- Leave copies of important documents such as passport, National Insurance number and birth certificate along with spare clothing and cash with a trusted friend.
- Keep helpline numbers close at hand. Have a telephone card or change for urgent phone calls.
- Arrange alternative emergency accommodation in case of need.
Your internet, e-mail and document use activities leave traces on your computer that can be found. Use a computer to which those you are fearful of do not have access to, such as at work, in a library, or a friend’s computer. Cover your tracks when searching for information, emailing about your situation or visiting sites and web-forums like those of the CEMB if you are using a computer that others may have access to.
Know that you are not alone
There are many people who are in or have been in your situation. Don’t despair. It really helps to meet other like-minded people who know what you are going through.
You can do this by becoming a member of the CEMB, coming to its events, and joining the CEMB’s web forum. There are also many local skeptic, humanist, secularist and atheist groups in various parts of the country that would be more than happy to lend a hand. They also have regular meetings, where you can meet like-minded people and get support.
Help is at hand
Make sure you know about your rights and options so that you can make informed choices. There are many organisations that provide assistance and support. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.